Welcome to the Component
Welcome to the Website of the Air Transat Component of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE). CUPE is the largest union in Canada, representing more than half a million workers in both the public and private sectors. The Air Transat Component represents more than 1,800 cabin attendants. These cabin attendants, affiliated with CUPE, are professionals who play a key role in ensuring the safety and comfort of passengers, flight after flight, in Canada and throughout the world.
History of AT Component
Montreal Local 4041, and Toronto, Local 4047. Vancouver, Local 4078, This year we are celebrating 25 years of unionization at Air Transat.
Prior to the unionization, there were no rules on such issues as the number of hours we could fly in a given month; there were no duty day provisions, and no pure seniority provisions.
We have negotiated six Collective Agreements and have achieved significant gains over the years, including the following:
- Blocking flying hours at between 65-85 hours per month, with a maximum of 95 hours actually flown.
- Reducing duty day limitations to 14 scheduled hours, with a maximum of 16 hours.
- Significant wage gains over the years (we started at around $17.00 per flying hour). And now the starting wage is $27.82/hour up to $54.12 after 12 years of service.
- Premiums for exceeding duty day hours. (Did not exist)
- Preventive leave language to allow for pregnant cabin attendants not to work for 16 weeks of their pregnancy if they so wishes.
None of these gains would have been possible without a Union and a strong membership. We should be proud of our accomplishments and remember that Together, united and strong, our voice will be heard.
Health & Safety
A Union is first and foremost the result of the work of its members who have chosen to form a united resistance in the face of highly organized employers. The members have created a Union with a very lean and simple structure, within which the responsibilities of all of their representatives are clearly established.
Please consult the structure of both CUPE National and the Air Transat Component’s Executive, as well as all of the relevant documents, to obtain a clearer picture of how your union works.
The mission of the Air Transat Component is as follows:
- To foster group dynamics between the bases
- To offer strong and equal support to all members
- To inform the members and engage their participation
- To listen and be flexible
- To maintain and increase communication among the shop stewards
No matter the location of your home base, we will represent you fairly and equitably, and you may be assured of our commitment to you.
565, Crémazie boulevard East,
Montreal, QC, H2M 2V9
Air Transat A.T. Inc.
5959, Côte-Vertu Blvd.
Montréal (Québec) H4S 2E6
Tel. : 514-906-0330
CUPE National Consultant
Office: 514-384-9681 ext. 2293
Bus. Cell: 514-884-4426
We would like to hear from you. Send us a message below.